For my day job I was asked to take some pictures of an event that is a precursor to a larger event the company is hosting. As part of that shoot I was asked to take a few product shots in a beauty salon. The shot below is one of those shots.
As I always try to do I have analyzed the picture for what worked and didn’t work so I can learn from the photographs I take.
- The blue bottles against the sky with the sky blown out.
- The bottles in the background giving some further context to the picture and creating a leading line.
- The angle of the shot. The bottles were on a shelf that was just above my head level. I like the upward angle as it helps create the line of the background bottles.
What didn’t work:
- My DOF was too large so parts of the main bottle are out of focus with a tinge of fringing.
- My ISO was high, very high. The light in the salon was okay but I still had to pump it up to get enough light on the front of the bottle. I didn’t have anything to reflect light back onto the bottle
What I would do differently:
- Use my reflector
- Lower my ISO
- Use a larger DoF
I’m going to start doing my ‘product’ and food shots soon so stay tuned to see what happens.
Comments and critiques are always welcome.